KI4BBO.org Forum Index :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups
Register :: Log in :: Profile

Linux distributions.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

KI4BBO.org Forum Index // Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynjarh

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Linux distributions.
What distribution do you use?

I have tried Mandrakelinux, Fedora Core and Debian and am a happy user of Debian. The main reason I like and use Debian is because of the huge number of packages available for it and the great tools to manage them. Also, I like the professionalism surrounding the creation of Debian and that it's decisions are not influenced by some big corporations will and the control I get over the installation of it which let's me install exactly only what I want and nothing else, the difference it makes can clearly be seen in performance.

It's a little more complicated to install and configure then operating systems like Mandrakelinux or Fedora Core and therefor a little harder on the newbie, but the end result is just great. mymexicandrugstore.org
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject:
well, as I said on my page, I prefer Mandrake. Mainly thats because I am used to it, i mean I have been using it for as long as I have been using windows, and I have never had any real problems with it, so I never saw any need to switch. There probably are better distros, but I am happy with mandrake right now

Josh

Get Firefox! | Don't drop the torch - Spread Firefox
posborne
Site Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: pc linux os
The only distro I've tried is RedHat 8 (it was all i could get my hands on); currently I am downloading (a daunting task at 56k) another distro which looked pretty good - pclinux os
Daivid
Skynet Systems

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject:
try this instead:
www.xandros.com
candrodor
Site Moderator

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject:
I've just downloaded Mandrake for a friend on 56k, so he can try it out first and I can be a safe paranoid.

I've just a few questions:

How much do you need to know before you start installing a Linux OS?
Do you just put the CD into your computer and start it uip and away you go?
Is it easy to get rid of it and go back to Windows if it all goes wrong?
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject:
candrodor wrote:
I've just downloaded Mandrake for a friend on 56k, so he can try it out first and I can be a safe paranoid.

I've just a few questions:

How much do you need to know before you start installing a Linux OS?
Do you just put the CD into your computer and start it uip and away you go?
Is it easy to get rid of it and go back to Windows if it all goes wrong?

Well, depending on the Distro you dont need to know too much.. I only had my computer for about a week and I installed Mandrake linux without a hitch.. that was the first time I had used a computer for four years

Yes, put the first CD in, boot it up, and it will run the install proram.

I am not sure how easy it is to get rid of, as I have never done it, but I would guess so.

Josh

candrodor
Site Moderator

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject:
Hopefully I won't need to. I've got the CD to boot up now, I had my BIOS a tad off. *burns the last two CDs*

One thing I forgot... How does the partitioning work, so I have Windows and Linux? Does Linux take care of it all? (I'd be doing Mandrake if all goes well)
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject:
candrodor wrote:
Hopefully I won't need to. I've got the CD to boot up now, I had my BIOS a tad off. *burns the last two CDs*

One thing I forgot... How does the partitioning work, so I have Windows and Linux? Does Linux take care of it all? (I'd be doing Mandrake if all goes well)

Well, in the install it says that Windows in on the HD already, and it asks if you want to remove it, you select no, and select to partition the drive, then it should re-size the windows partition and create one for linux

Josh

anm
Site Moderator

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject:
What's a good free linux distro? Madrake costs money from what I hear and I don't have enough to spend on it!

Wow, the install program partitions it for you. . .I thought I had to do it manually. . .then again I'll probably put it on an old computer so I don't have to worry about that!
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject:
anm wrote:
What's a good free linux distro? Madrake costs money from what I hear and I don't have enough to spend on it!

Wow, the install program partitions it for you. . .I thought I had to do it manually. . .then again I'll probably put it on an old computer so I don't have to worry about that!

Well, Mandrake is free, you just have to look in the right place You have to pay for the CD, but for the download edition its free, go here [ http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 ] and click on "I am already a member" and then you can download it.. or, if you want you can sign up and become a member, thats free too.

Josh

posborne
Site Moderator

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Linux
I've been looking at different distros lately and want to make a good decision (it's a lot of wasted time to make a bad one on 56k)...

Right now the two main distros I am looking at are Debian and Gentoo Linux (http://www.gentoo.org/). Right now I'm leaning toward Gentoo; like Debian it has great package support (using emerge sync as opposed to apt-get on Debian) and just sounds stellar and well-supported (check out the site). It's very configurable and looks like a good way to go...

Has anyone every used Gentoo before?
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux
posborne wrote:
I've been looking at different distros lately and want to make a good decision (it's a lot of wasted time to make a bad one on 56k)...

Right now the two main distros I am looking at are Debian and Gentoo Linux (http://www.gentoo.org/). Right now I'm leaning toward Gentoo; like Debian it has great package support (using emerge sync as opposed to apt-get on Debian) and just sounds stellar and well-supported (check out the site). It's very configurable and looks like a good way to go...

Has anyone every used Gentoo before?

I haven't, but I have heard it mentioned on various forums and such.. it sounds like a cool distro, once I get a bigger HD, I think I will try it out

Josh

gusto5

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject:
Ive heard great things from my friend on gentoo. However the installation is quite complicated. and compiling takes days

i find slackware the easiest to use so far, and im liking it
computerkid1220
Site Moderator

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject:
Josh wrote:

Well, Mandrake is free, you just have to look in the right place

Well, the fact that ALL linux distos have to be free (read the GPL, people!) would kind of suggest that any linux distro has ot be available for free. The one thing that might get confusing is if someone tries to download Red Hat Linux. It is free, they just released it under a different name, Fedora Core. RH also has RH Enterprise Edition, which you have to pay to get, but that's for some commercial software and support. Most distros have started doing something similar.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Gentoo
Just came through and saw that you guys started talking about Gentoo... It's a wonderful distro, best one i have ever tried.. But I've got to clear up a few misconceptions... Yes, it is more difficult to install than most distros (specially the ones you pay for) but why did you get into linux in the first place? I know I did in order to give myself those problems and programming to take care of. The other thing, the compile thingy? you talking about compiling the system right? Well you can bypass that and download a default package (can't config as much but still great) or you can go ahead and compile yourself. I didn't have a fast system at all back then and it took less than a day. So I'm thinking unless you're running a 350Mhz Pent II you're going to be fine.
       KI4BBO.org Forum Index // Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Theme By: Andrew Charron