6 Months
 0%  [ 0 ]
1 Year
 0%  [ 0 ]
5 years
 0%  [ 0 ]
10 Years
 11%  [ 1 ]
Let's just bomb the Microsoft HQ and get it over with.
 66%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 9

computerkid1220
Site Moderator

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: How soon will Microsoft fall?
The "Question of the Day"---how soon will it take before Linux overcomes Microsoft once and for all?
Site Moderator

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject:
Oh yes, a bomb is needed.

Ahem.

Microsoft, however bad they are, is what I'm using now. I don't think I'll get a chance to have a computer solely on Linux 'til I'm out fo the house, because my parent's have been using Windows for the past ten years, and wouldn't cope with learning another OS and programmes to go with it.

I haven't even got Linux yet because I'm scared to. Things break on the computer without me doing anything, let alone with me doing something drastic. I realise it's probably just Windows killing everything, but I don't want to risk anything.
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject:
Derek! You are gonna get me in trouble with the FBI

LOL.. I have no idea when MS will "fall" but I think Firefox is the start of it.. I mean IE use has fallen drasticly

Josh

Get Firefox! | Don't drop the torch - Spread Firefox
candrodor
Site Moderator

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject:
Firefox and Linux should join forces along with all other Open Source Linux based programmer people, and they would sweep over the nations like a horde of rabid somethings!
posborne
Site Moderator

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject:
Well, I'm getting kind of fed up with Microsoft (not that they haven't made some good products... MSWord is a nice program, easy to use...) but I believe Open Source is the way to go.

I think that Linux/Open Source is going to gain quite a foothold if Microsoft continues to have all its security shortcomings. Also, much depends on when MS releases the next version of Windows "Longhorn". Microsoft/Windows is going to be around for a long time, but I believe ,slowly, people will begin making the transition to Linux.

One key to this is Linux Distros which are easy to install, easy to use (pretty), and include all the necessary apps. Also, I believe people (like myself) are going to have dual-boot computers even after they fall in love with Linux because there is simply just some software which cannot (easily) be run with Linux (especially games).

I agree that Firefox is a step in the right direction... IE is horrible! People realize it as they are bombarded with Pop-ups, viruses, and slow page-loads. People (the general public) either don't know there is an alternative or they think OS's like Linux are just too complicated (which for some might just be true)

It's going to be a slow process, but I believe it will happen.
candrodor
Site Moderator

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject:
We have a dream. Eh?
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject:
posborne wrote:
Well, I'm getting kind of fed up with Microsoft (not that they haven't made some good products... MSWord is a nice program, easy to use...) but I believe Open Source is the way to go.

I think that Linux/Open Source is going to gain quite a foothold if Microsoft continues to have all its security shortcomings. Also, much depends on when MS releases the next version of Windows "Longhorn". Microsoft/Windows is going to be around for a long time, but I believe ,slowly, people will begin making the transition to Linux.

One key to this is Linux Distros which are easy to install, easy to use (pretty), and include all the necessary apps. Also, I believe people (like myself) are going to have dual-boot computers even after they fall in love with Linux because there is simply just some software which cannot (easily) be run with Linux (especially games).

I agree that Firefox is a step in the right direction... IE is horrible! People realize it as they are bombarded with Pop-ups, viruses, and slow page-loads. People (the general public) either don't know there is an alternative or they think OS's like Linux are just too complicated (which for some might just be true)

It's going to be a slow process, but I believe it will happen.

I agree! There are lots of easy to use Linux Distros, such as Mandrake, and Linspire (formerly Lindows) and many others. Linspire took like two clicks to install, even my Dad could have done it!

I have Windows Longhorn, and honestly, its trash. Its extremely slow, as your CPU is being ran at 100% (I have a 2.2GHz Pentium 4...) by the unneeded services, and its buggy sidebar. IE is non-usable, not that I would want to use it anyway, but it takes literally 30 seconds for ANY page to render.. talk about buggy

The sidebar is ridiculous, it takes up a large partition of your screen, and does absoulty no good, the one thing I thought would be cool about it, an RSS reader, is super buggy too, it won't let be change feeds, so I am stuck on MSDN, yuck

I know its still beta.. but so far I am not impressed, there have been no real improvements, just added protections to make sure you keep using MS products and MS search engines..

Josh

candrodor
Site Moderator

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject:
I've been looking on the support groups for Microsft, and EVERYONE has been complaining about the horrible things that SP2 did to their computers.
The one thing I would like Microsoft to try and improve, and that I'd have the faith in them to manage, is if they could add a "lock toolbars" option to MSWord. Dad's constantly moving his toolbars off the screen by accident.
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject:
candrodor wrote:
I've been looking on the support groups for Microsft, and EVERYONE has been complaining about the horrible things that SP2 did to their computers.
The one thing I would like Microsoft to try and improve, and that I'd have the faith in them to manage, is if they could add a "lock toolbars" option to MSWord. Dad's constantly moving his toolbars off the screen by accident.

Yeah, SP2 kinda messed my computer up as well.. I can't say as I like the added slowness oh well.. just another reason to use Linux

Josh

Daivid
Skynet Systems

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject:
josh, u sayd u win longhorn is wery slow
may i ask what build are u using
when it's 4051 then sure it is slow and crappy, but all this is fixed in newer build
and if u still dont like it then use "longhorn lite"

some stuff about that (maybe u need to register)

http://www.idarkside.com/portal/forum/index.php?showtopic=844&hl=longhorn+lite

(well, u can tweak this any time)
i was testing and tweaking build 4015 and i was able to make this wery fast )
images here:

http://www.betaman.net/swat2/www/win_lh/
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject:
eh, I have the latest I think, 4074

Josh

candrodor
Site Moderator

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject:
I've been talking to someone in IRC about Windows just now, and she said something I found hilarious. I don't knwo whether you'll have heard it before...

Quote:
PC's are like air conditioners..they dont work with windows open
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject:
candrodor wrote:
I've been talking to someone in IRC about Windows just now, and she said something I found hilarious. I don't knwo whether you'll have heard it before...

Quote:
PC's are like air conditioners..they dont work with windows open

haha, thats great! How true!

Josh

gusto5

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject:
hmm...but the question is without Microsoft, will Linux stay free?
computerkid1220
Site Moderator

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject:
candrodor wrote:
We have a dream. Eh?

Unfortunatly, with the MS monopoly, it looks like it's going to stay a dream for a while. Unless someone can get that bomb....

And, yes, Linux is released under the GPL, it has to stay free otherwise it's against the law
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Theme By: Andrew Charron