KI4BBO.org Forum Index :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups
Register :: Log in :: Profile

PHP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

KI4BBO.org Forum Index // PHP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: PHP!
I am just getting into PHP, I just was wondering if any of you are into PHP, and if you have found/made any cool PHP scripts, if so please share them here! medrx-one.com

Last edited by Josh on Mon May 24, 2004 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
posborne
Site Moderator

Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject:
I got into PHP about 4 months ago (at my schools semester change) when I began a "web mastering" course at my highschool. There are only 3 people in the class and the other two have little idea of what they are doing Rolling Eyes We've been coding a mysql database for the school's choir and band departments through which they will be able to search for, modify, and add song entries. Pretty much we're doing the school's IT guy's (also the teacher) job. It's fun though -- especially when you're a better coder than the teacher (in some areas).

Josh, I suppose they don't offer advance computer courses at your age Crying or Very sad
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: PHP is kewl
posborne wrote:
I got into PHP about 4 months ago (at my schools semester change) when I began a "web mastering" course at my highschool. There are only 3 people in the class and the other two have little idea of what they are doing Rolling Eyes We've been coding a mysql database for the school's choir and band departments through which they will be able to search for, modify, and add song entries. Pretty much we're doing the school's IT guy's (also the teacher) job. It's fun though -- especially when you're a better coder than the teacher (in some areas).

Josh, I suppose they don't offer advance computer courses at your age Crying or Very sad

Yeah, thanks for joining my forums posborne! Aside from Angela73 you are the only one! I like the coloring you did with you signature, pretty cool. Yeah, I dont think they have PHP classes for 12 year olds, but maybe I can (try) to find a free one online! And speaking of PHP, your guestbook is still not working, like I said in mine. (My guestbook that is) Also, I know you want to get some forums up, and you want to use phpBB, I have plenty of nice mods that you can use. thumbsup

Get Firefox! | Don't drop the torch - Spread Firefox

Last edited by Josh on Sat May 15, 2004 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: LOL
Yeah, it is funny to be smarter than your teachers!

posborne
Site Moderator

Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: PHP is kewl
Josh wrote:
Yeah, thanks for joining my forums posborne! Aside from Angela73 you are the only one! I like the coloring you did with you signature, pretty cool. Yeah, I dont think they have PHP classes for 12 year olds, but maybe I can (try) to find a free one online! And speaking of PHP, your guestbook is still not working, like I said in mine. (My guestbook that is) Also, I know you want to get some forums up, and you want to use phpBB, I have plenty of nice mods that you can use. thumbsup

Josh, I'm not sure what is quit up with the guestbook for you... I just tested it and it worked...There should be 3 posts in the guestbook (all by me). I don't see any reason why it would only work for me however (it was broken before though). Try refreshing by pressing [F5]. As for phpBB, I'm going to spend some time making my own. I just learned how to use $_SESSION GLOBALS and created a MySQL database command line (you can only access it **when I put it online** by enter 3 md5 encrypted passwords. Shocked Before I create the forum I am working out the kinks of a user table that will contain usernames, passwords, emails, profile, date joined... Then I will need to create a few pages to enter, modify, delete that stuff... I also plan to learn more about cookies (helpful for the end user). I don't get many hits anyway, maybe it will look good on my college stuff
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: PHP is kewl
posborne wrote:

Josh, I'm not sure what is quit up with the guestbook for you... I just tested it and it worked...There should be 3 posts in the guestbook (all by me). I don't see any reason why it would only work for me however (it was broken before though). Try refreshing by pressing [F5]. As for phpBB, I'm going to spend some time making my own. I just learned how to use $_SESSION GLOBALS and created a MySQL database command line (you can only access it **when I put it online** by enter 3 md5 encrypted passwords. Shocked Before I create the forum I am working out the kinks of a user table that will contain usernames, passwords, emails, profile, date joined... Then I will need to create a few pages to enter, modify, delete that stuff... I also plan to learn more about cookies (helpful for the end user). I don't get many hits anyway, maybe it will look good on my college stuff

Um, let me try your guestbook again, but I tried it two times and both times it said Failed to Create Entry or something.

OK, It worked now, I dont know what happened yesterday, maybe it had to do with me using opera, but I doubt it, although I did find it doesn't work with this one password protection scheme I have on one of my admin areas. Yeah, all that MD5 password stuff seems like overkill! BUt, I guess it would not be good if someone got in there, so I see where you are coming from. I think it would be quite a bit easier if you just used a pre-made forum system, like phpBB, but it would be really neat to make your own, and I think that would "look good on your college stuff"! If you want ease of use for mysql admin, I would suggest using phpMy Admin or something like that, I forget what it is called, but it has a nce GUI and it is ver easy to use, has password protection and all that stuff. It is what I use and have been very happy with. I will try to find the name of it.....

Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: It is phpMyAdmin
OK, yeah, it is called phpMyAdmin and I am using version 2.5.6, it is pretty sweet.

Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: BTW....
Also, you said you don't get very any hits, I dont know anything about that, according to my site log analizer (darn my spelling ) I had 9851 a day, which averages out to about 55 visits a day! If you like I will add you to my links page, you might get some more hits that way.

BTW, I also get hits from all accross the globe, here is a partial list of countries:

Austria
Seychelles
Slovak Republic
Australia
Estonia
Singapore
United Kingdom
Italy
Belguim.......

So, I am pretty happy with my stats, esp since it is just a small personal site, that I have mor for me than anyone else, as just a way to learn webdesign, and kind just to say I have a site, it is pretty neat, I just enjoy doing it. (I get more visits than any of my friends sites, even the ones that have their own domain like me!)

posborne
Site Moderator

Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: PHP
Quote:
OK, It worked now, I dont know what happened yesterday, maybe it had to do with me using opera, but I doubt it, although I did find it doesn't work with this one password protection scheme I have on one of my admin areas.

Not sure why it didn't work with Opera for you. I use Opera and it works for me??? Hey, Opera 7.50 just came out Cool
Quote:
Yeah, all that MD5 password stuff seems like overkill! BUt, I guess it would not be good if someone got in there, so I see where you are coming from

Yeah, it is probably overkill I was just learning how to use the md5($stringname) command in PHP. It is pretty neat. Even if someone managed to view to code of the php page on the server it would just be a buch of gibberish... I think I'll cut it down to 2 input fields.
Quote:
If you want ease of use for mysql admin, I would suggest using phpMy Admin or something like that, I forget what it is called, but it has a nce GUI and it is ver easy to use, has password protection and all that stuff. It is what I use and have been very happy with. I will try to find the name of it.....

Yeah, I've tried phpMyAdmin; the interface is nice and user friendly; however, I like using the command link mysql better (that way when you need to do something in php you know the syntax). What i have made is basically a textarea in which you enter a mysql query (just like the command line) and then submit it. If it succeeds it gives the number of rows affected -- if it fails it gives you the mysql error (using mysql_error()).
Quote:
Also, you said you don't get very any hits, I dont know anything about that, according to my site log analizer (darn my spelling ) I had 9851 a day, which averages out to about 55 visits a day! If you like I will add you to my links page, you might get some more hits that way.

Yeah, I think the only hits right now I am getting are from christian.net people or friends I tell. I haven't added any meta data yet to get my page some hits via search engines though. You can add my page to your links if you want.... I'll add ki4bbo.org to my links as well.
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: OK
Yeah, the phpmyadmin also has a place where you can enter raw commands, but I don't know very much at all about mysql, so I dont use that much, I am afraid of messing something up!

I have a cold right now, so I am pretty zapped, but I will add you to my links page here in a second.

Daivid
Skynet Systems

Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BTW....
Josh wrote:
Estonia

wohhooooo
there is my homeland
i'm sp proud know
i can die in pease
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: BTW....
Daivid wrote:
Josh wrote:
Estonia

wohhooooo
there is my homeland
i'm sp proud know
i can die in pease

Where did I write that? Question LOL

EDIT: Duh! I just didn't look, I see now, in the list of visitors to my site, yeah, that was probably you! I have never heard of Estonia before, I am not very good with geography!

posborne
Site Moderator

Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: forumimages.com
I was looking for images for my site/forum the other day and ran across forumimages.com. It is a great site with a whole bunch of free/open graphics (designed for phpbb) that I believe I can use with the forums I am developing.
Daivid
Skynet Systems

Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject:
to josh: if i go home then i put a link here, there u can see where is estonia, and read about it
u sayd u're not very good about geography, well i'm nott good at math
(but that is a secret)

UPDATE
here is some info about estonia :
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/en.html
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:
Posborne: That is a really cool site, i might have to use some of those images on my site!

Daivid: Thanks for the link! Estonia sounds pretty neat.

KI4BBO.org Forum Index // PHP All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Theme By: Andrew Charron