KI4BBO.org Forum Index :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups
Register :: Log in :: Profile

.Rpm problem and windows emulators

KI4BBO.org Forum Index // Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harujai

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: .Rpm problem and windows emulators
Was directed here by good ol' candrordor. I have a suse distro of linux on my computer. And I'm desperately trying to find a way to use it for more of my common things... like chatting and such. And maybe more for gaming if i can find a windows emulator.

To put it quite bluntly. I don't understand the whole rpm system of installations. I've tried the commands that i've seen on other sites, and in the help file on the computer. But it just seems to not install, was trying to get xchat and gaim on it. If anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, any words or suggestions on good windows emulators. Someone referred to me to wine, but another person said it sucked. So i'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks ^_^
Josh
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject:
Well, wine is about the best emulator you can find, but its far from perfect, and its kinda slow and youd get fed up trying to game with it.

As for the RPM problem, I'm not really sure.. in Mandrake when you doubleclicked an RPM it would automatically install it.

Josh

Get Firefox! | Don't drop the torch - Spread Firefox
Harujai

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject:
Hrmm..for me it really just asks me to point to a program to run it. Maybe suse doesnt come with the rpm program? I was trying to find a place i could download that. But no luck, i only found it's source code. Which would make things worse in my situation. I was pointed to suse cause it's more newbie linux friendly, would you suggest i go mandrake perhaps? Or would you know where the rpm file resides in /root or on the net. 77canadapharmacy.com
candrodor
Site Moderator

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject:
"surely he has a program similar to "computer configuration""

Says a Linuxnewb on my MSN list. Probably no help at all... ;_;
       KI4BBO.org Forum Index // Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum